Outstanding Thandai Recipes
Thandai Recipes: One
1 1/2 litres water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. almonds
1 tbsp. kharbooj/tarbooj seeds skinned (commercially available)
(these are skinned dried seeds of watermelon and cantaloupes)
1/2 tbsp. khuskhus (poppy seeds)
1/2 tbsp. saunf (aniseed)
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder or 15 whole pods
1/2 tsp. rose water (optional)
tsp. peppercorns whole
1/4 cup dried or fresh rose petals (gulkand variety)
- Soak sugar in 1/2 litre of the water used. Keep aside.
- Wash clean all other dry ingredients, except cardamom if using
- Soak in 2 cups of remaining water. Keep aside.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste. (not sugar)
- Use a stone grinder (manual or electric) if possible.
- When the paste is very fine, mix remaining water.
- Place a strong muslin strainer over a large deep vessel.
- Press through muslin with back of palms, extracting the liquid
- Add remaining water, a little at a time to extract more.
- Pour back some of the extract and press, repress.
- Repeat this process till the residue becomes dry and husk like.
- Add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- If using cardamom powder mix it in with the milk.
- Mix well. Chill for a hour of two before serving.
- Making time: 45 minutes
- Makes: 8 glasses (approx.)
Shelf life: Refrigerated 35-40 hours
Thandai Recipes: Two
2 tsp aniseed
2 tsp poppy seeds
8 cardamom pods
12 tsp sugar
2 tsp peppercorns
2 tsp cumin seeds
4 tsp crushed ice
Grind all the spices, with the almonds separate. Blend together in a large
bowl, and add water and milk. Strain through cheesecloth until liquid is
smooth. Serve cold.
Thandai Recipes: Three
250 gms sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 litre milk
10 almonds, soaked in water and peeled
6 pepper corns
4 cardamoms, crushed
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp khus essence (poppy seeds)
Few ice cubes, crushed
Grind well the peeled almonds, cardamom and fennel seeds to a fine paste
and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Strain the mixture well.
Take crushed ice cubes in a glass till half and fill the rest with the
Serve garnished with rose petals.
Makes for 12 glasses
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Thandai Recipes: Four
Milk, sugar, pistachios, almonds, walnuts etc., some charas or bhang.
Powder all dry ingredients and place in a coarse cloth. Heat milk and sugar
slowly, holding the cloth with pistas etc. in the milk. Every now and again,
squeeze excess liquid from the mass in the cloth. Once the milk has taken
the bhang/charas and flavour from the nuts, chill and serve cold.